Sunday, March 28, 2010

"Rescue" IF March 26/2010




From the quote: "Hope is the expectation that something outside of ourselves, that something or someone external is going to come to our rescue and we will live happily ever after." - Dr. Robert Anthony.

This image popped to mind immediately I read. Dr. Anthony's quote, and I wondered what sort of people he knew, to prompt such a definition.

Folks I have known over the years express hope very differently from his idea - from the young woman hoping for a certain someone's attention, dressing carefully and shining with energy whenever they come into view, or a farmer anxiously watching the skies and walking his fields after sowing fields and tending the earth... People I know step out to meet the future actively, not sitting with hands folded waiting for something outside of themselves to effect a rescue.

In my experience, what we add to the day, to our lives, that of those around us and the society we are part of, that is what will rescue us when we are truly beyond our own efforts, as in the image above, the swimmer's one hand reaches for help, the other has already grown to be part of the environment that he reaches out to.

5 comments:

  1. Well said! I like your words and the drawing SO much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So well said! Beautiful illustration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this has really struck a chord with me. You have given me inspiration to go forward with this philosophy in mind. Great illustration, so detailed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely illustration. Love the line work, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really great drawing. I love the feel of the movement in it!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by. I love to hear your thoughts. Drop me a line! Hurrah! Aino